If you want to grow your consulting business you just need to ask. Of course, you first need to make sure you’re actually good at what you do…but once you’re confident in your skills and ideally have helped generate some results for your clients, getting more business shouldn’t be a big challenge.
You can make it as complicated as you want to, but it’s really a simple process.
Here are the needed ingredients:
- You need a cup of skills. I don’t mean that you ‘think’ you have skills, but rather that your clients and those around you believe that you do.
- A sprinkle of results. There’s nothing more powerful than being able to show you can do what you say you can.
- 150 grams of satisfied clients. The amount isn’t the issue. One or two happy clients is all you need to get started. They are your references, your living proof.
- Add a cup of decision. You need to decide what kind of clients you want. That way you can ask for them. Not just ‘clients’, be as specific as possible (industry, size, location).
- It’s cook time. It’s time for you to ask. Who do you ask? Ask your clients, ask everyone you meet at any chance you get.
Let’s break down this last part a little more.
Start by setting the stage. What you say will vary depending on if you’re talking to a client or a friend. Tell them what you do, what kind of results you’ve been achieving, and then if they know of anyone that fits the criteria of client you are looking for.
If you do this on a regular basis you’ll find yourself being introduced or connected with more and more business owners and potential clients.
This isn’t a magic recipe that’s guaranteed to work every time. But if you do this on a regular basis it’ll start to pay off.
Try it out for a month and see. I think you’ll be pleasantly surprised.