Here’s a consulting question I received as part of the “Ask Michael” series:
“My target customers are mid-sized manufacturing companies. I don’t have any connections in my networks to the decision makers of such companies. Besides cold calling, how can I reach the decision makers of my target group? “
This is a common question. Many consultants find themselves in when they are new to consulting or have moved to a new geography.
In response to this question, I would ask:
- Have you attended any trade shows for this industry?
- Have you written any articles for the publications that the decisions makers in this industry read?
- Have you put on any talks or workshops for this industry?
- Have you run any type of webinar or online program for these executives?
Cold-calling can work. But it takes a lot of work.
The approach I prefer is:
- Figure out who your ideal consulting clients are
- What their biggest problem(s) are
- Offer them something of value to show them you’re an authority and expert
- Then you’ll be well placed to have a discussion with them about how you can help them
This is a quick outline of a much more detailed process you’ll learn in the Marketing for Consultants program.