Ever told someone that you’re offering web consulting? If you have you’ve probably encountered an odd look on their face and question marks in their eyes.
Any mention of the word “website” and the general public automatically thinks pretty designs and ‘nice’ looking websites.
But website consulting goes far beyond this. The internet consultant usually takes the role of planning, overseeing the execution and delivery and guarantee of a successful website or online project. This often includes:
- Information architecture of the website
- Content planning and development
- Ensuring all the technical aspects are in place
- Communicating as a go-between with the client and web team
- Tracking and managing the process and execution of the project from end to end
- And ensuring the client is happy and the web team gets the job done on time and within budget.
Website consultants don’t necessarily have to actually ‘build’ the website or online application. More often than not it’s their job to oversee and coordinate everything ensuring the project is completed successfully.
That being said, many individuals that specialize or have a background in writing web copy, programming, or marketing often take on these tasks themselves and work with other people to fill in the gaps and get the job done.
If you’re wondering if becoming a web consultant is right for you, ask yourself these three questions:
- Do I have a strong understanding of web and online technologies?
- Do I have access to an experienced team of web developers that I can call on? Or can I create such relationships?
- Have I worked on website projects in the past? If so, can I show them in my portfolio?
If you can answer yes to all of these questions this web site consulting may be a good fit for you!